Nonresident Returns

When taxes get personal.

Do you work in a different state from where you live? If so, you may need to file a nonresident state return. In some cases, states follow the federal tax rules and don’t require a nonresident return.

In fact, each state where you worked, but did not live, looks for a nonresident state income tax return. The good news is that the state in which you are a resident will normally tax you on all your income and then give you a credit for taxes paid to other states.

Get it right from the start. Let an Enrolled Agent handle your tax returns, especially if your situation resembles these scenarios.